My monasteries: A new vision and approach

KR in America Honolulu 13

My dear friends, I want to share with all of you the vision I have for my monasteries.

From outside everything looks very beautiful. But looking behind the glossy cover of the magazine,  the reality is quite different. I really feel that a lot needs to be changed:

Young children are mainly brought to the monastery to become monks because of their families’ financial difficulty. This is not the choice of the children .

Then they receive a religious education but not a regular education. This means that when the children grow up, if they decide to leave the monastery they have no way to live a good life. I have close friends who left the monastery when they became 19 or 20 yrs old, and now they are washing dishes in a restaurant or driving taxi. Since they have no training or education for living in the world, they will have a very difficult time to have a full and happy life. This breaks my heart.

Also I see the young monks learning about Dharma without having any direct experience of life; nor without the expericnce of Dharma in life. For example, I learned, as many young monks learn, that samsara lies outside the walls of the monastery; that those who are in relationship, those who are married, those who work and are fully engaged in life are in samsara while those of us in the monastery are not in samsara. We are educated with this kind of pride, this kind of prejudice. Some of these monks then go into retreat and come out as Lamas. They are invited to the west to live and teach in a Buddhist center. And when they arrive, they discover that “Samsara is Beautiful”. They then want to experience everything that life has to offer,  and too often get involved in dharma business, and abusing and taking advantage of innocent people. Too often they use the Dharma to cover up and justify their personal behavior.

Another person might grow up outside the monastery, receive a regular education, and experience the joys and difficulties of life. And then having really understood that samsara is our own state of mind and our own attachment, decide to enter the monastery and follow a spiritual path. This to me is a much better approach.

So my idea is to create a school for children whose families have financial difficulty. The children will receive both normal and religious training. Then when the children reach 19 or 20 years of age, they can freely decide if they want to leave and have a personal life with work and family which they can do  in a good way,  with full appreciation of Dharma in their lives; if they want to join the school and education system, they will be welcome; and if they want to enter the monastery and follow a spiritual path they will do so fully and completely as their own decision.

For me the point of Dharma is to give us freedom and possibilities. Currently the system does not do that. I hope that this new approach will do so in my monasteries and Dharma communities.

This is my vision. And I am determined to make it happen.

1. Karma Yeshe Gyaltsen (Peter) says:

Dear Kalu
    This is an excellent and perceptive analysis of the situation.
    I am willing to do whatever I can to help you with this project.

2. jeff munoz says:

Wonderful! Thank u Kalu… for ‘breaking free’ so to say from the ‘system’ the matrix! that u expressing so clearly with an open mind and best of all an open heart is very encouraging to say the least…..
    i have been one of those ‘innocents’ abused by the results of an imbalanced dharma system…. perhaps i was simply naive …. however no more!
    cutting to the essence of dharma is the hallmark of our rapidly changing time… and certainly the youth are totally hip to it… and u are leading the way giving a sense of direction and balance to our children… yay!
    my sincere wish is to be a help to u with ur vision of a school (s) … may it be so! sending lol…. mahaloha, jeff

3. Sheyla Costa says:

Thanks again and again to be brave lucid and wise. Thanks to have this pure vision about the Dharma. Thanks to have this compassionate motivation to really hepl people. Yes, Yes, yes, dear spiritual friend thanks to show us that Dharma is about freedom and liberation from suffering and its causes.

4. Benny Soh says:

Awesome!! Well said and a great vision Rinpoche la! The main aim for practicing Dharma is to incorporate it into of everyday lives so as to benefit others altruistically. Without experiencing samsara, how does one even begin to comprehend it and renounce it in the first place?

5. Ivory Xue says:

Hope to see your school soon.
    If you need any help, please let us know.

6. Ugyen says:

Being a Buddhist myself I honestly donot disrespect great buddhist teachers but it is hard for me to respect them as well. It’s very hard to find buddhist masters who can actually relate to people on a day to day basis and teach us how to live a good life in the state we are born in; be it a wife, daughter, father, brother,etcc…. except for HH the Dalai Lama. But sadly even HH is too great and from a generation so different from this generation that for him to advice young people on a day to day basis is almost not possible . Maybe I am hoping very much you would be one of the few who would break the wrong skeptical notions amongst young people today that BUddhism is just another orthodox, tantric chanting, mask dancing religion and be able to truly pierce through the essence of it…..:) tashi delek on this article Rimpoche. An excellent vision

7. Stephane says:

Dear Kalu, thank you so much for your vision. When I first read this, it had a deep sense that this vision is so “true” and so “obvious” in a sense ! Thanks for all the good that this will bring to the world… inside and outside samsara ;-)

8. Hong says:

Dear Rinpoché la,

If you need a teacher, I am here!

Love,

Hong

9. Jérôme Bouillon says:

I totaly agree with your aproach. I have a question : when you’re speaking of children does it include girls ?
    Have a nice day,
    Jérôme

10. I agree 200% a “normal” education in the “relative truth” will enhance the understanding of the Ultimate Truth. Teaching that the monestary is Nirvana only makes people want to run away from Your Nirvana and seek refuge in Samsara….names and lables don’t care where you put them and object don’t care either. However, if we change all our definitions around How are we any different than George Bush? [sorry to bring in political humor].

What you describe as “aother person” that’s ALL THE REST OF US except we don’t have any monestary, all we have are Dohas, KTGR, and TGS,

We are the Space like Yogis and Yoginis who come form the Lineage of the Great Brahmin, training and training in the natural reality of mind, thought of confused appearances dissolve in the expance…

Fake it till you make it and make it real

11. Tino Ramirez says:

Kalu, I hope there will be a way for your students to support your effort.

12. Lisa Starr says:

Aloha Kalu,
    I love your many clear ideas on making this challenging world an experience filled with hope, happiness and love.
    I hope you are very well and feeling all the love for you!
    Mahalo from Kuau, lisa

13. Isabelle Jacobs says:

I totally support you Rinpoche, best wishes

14. Kathy Halstead Apps says:

This is the best news I have heard in many years. Since attending The Monlam in 2009 with a view of staying in Bodh Gaya to help teach English to the young monks at Tergar I was struck by,1. the sheer numbers of young monks there are and 2. their great need for just about everything.
    It may seem great to us seeing these wonderful children in their robes swirling and laughing together, but, as you say they have to live in this world and it is a difficult place a beguiling place. I have also had a dream to start some kind of holistic educational school where people can live and grow with the skills for life and the compassion and courage to live a good balanced life, Bless you and I dearly hope you will succeed in your quest.
    Kathy Halstead Apps/ Karma Sempa UK

15. Anne-Marie says:

Thank you lamala! Your idea is so nice and profund, It’s really what those young people have to experiment, or anybody who want to know samsara and dharma. I’m so proud to hear your teachings, and I support your ideas and propositions at 100 %! Thank you to be here with us, thank you for your intelligence of heart which will help keep dharma in the new age of the world! TAchi delek, may
    all will be auspicious for you!

16. Lama Tsewang says:

Rinpoche, thank you so much , your remarks are like a breath of fresh air .

Also, I would like to bring to your attention , Rinpoche, the abhorrent situation in North America for Westerners who become monastics within Tibetan style Buddhist traditions.

Firstly, I know of many many situations here , where people were given monastic precepts , by Tibetan Lamas , and then afterwards, not given any training related to Monastic life , their precepts , or anything else, related to what they had taken on. It is my understanding , that such teaching is the responsibility of the preceptor . Instead , these poor individuals are left abandoned and rudderless

Also, it is pretty clear within Tibetan Buddhist centres that there are two kinds of monks, ones who are Tibetan , and Western monks . The western monks are treated as inferiors to the Tibetans , as second class citizens. I have not found this kind of treatment for Caucasian monks in Buddhist temples , of other traditions, ie Vietnamese or Thai, or Chinese temples in North America . In those places this kind of discrimination does not occur.

Our Tibetan tradition has very few facilities in North America for training local people to be Dharma teachers , ie. monastic centres , centres for communities of full time practitioners. For the leaders of our tradition , there doesnt seem to be much interest in establishing such facilities here . Now for those who might say that such centres are incompatible with the North American lifestyle , I would point out that Zen and Theravadin traditions of Buddhism , have many centers for training full time , which in turn produce English speaking teachers.
    Because there hasnt been enough attention placed on this , there are few Westerners who are teaching our tradition in North America. I contrast this with Soto Zen and Theravadin traditions here , and I see that they are being taught in North America by local people. I am very saddened by seeing this , it does not bode well for the future of our tradition here . For it to take root here , it must be taught here by local people .
    I am reminded of a story I read . When King Ashokas son arrived in Sri Lanka , to bring Dharma to Sri Lanka , the king asked him , how will we know when the Dharma has been established or taken root in Sri Lanka. The answer from Ashokas son was that when a community of Sri Lankan monks transmits the precepts to a local Sri Lankan monk , then the Dharma will have taken root in Sri Lanka.

17. Edie says:

Dear Kalu Rinpoche,

I have not had the chance to meet you in this incarnation except when you were about 2 years old and you were not in the mood for meeting one more awkward western woman who looked at you like a little god. However I continue to be helped by the teachings of your last life and am more and more encouraged by what you say and what you are trying to do in this life.
    Your ideas on education in the Dharma seem just right. Do you plan to do things very similarly in Asia and in the West?
    Last but not least, have you had the opportunity to discuss your ideas with His Holiness Karmapa? He is also young in years yet long in View. With the Karmapa’s blessing, I think even more people would wish to help and to look at the systems within their own monasteries.
    With a great wish to meet you soon again.
    Edie Irwin (Karma Tsewang Lhamo)

18. Dmitri Virt says:

It is a good idea! I think, question about including training in meditation in monasteries, also must be considered. Need a good balance between study Buddhist View and training in meditation, they must always complement each other. Otherwise it is easy for students to get stuck on conceptual level or even worse – get poisoned by teaching on emptiness (i’ve seen quite enough examples in Dharamsala).
    Another question is Western Dharma-clubs… If put it lightly and in a few words: approach is not effective. I was lucky enough to meet my teachers in Himalayas, they are simple yogi but with great realization, true embodiment of Dharma, they are training me last 9 years… when i see what is going on in the West, my heart is crying…

19. Kelsang Lhundrup says:

I am so glad that though RInpoche is young but he has insight and foresight about the reality of monastic training and education…… Yes, many become monks out of poverty and not freewill…..and they need to have some vocational training to back them up

20. Simon Dorje says:

With full respect i am deeply moved by this. Proactive wisdom and vision I humbly hope is fully realised

21. Lama Gyawo says:

Dear Rinpoche, I think your assessment of the situation is correct and I applaud your willingness to speak the truth as you see it. I have great faith in the future of Buddhism because of Lamas such as yourself. Ku-tse-ring. Bodhi svaha!

22. Malcolm says:

My observation is that really understanding Dharma requires maturity. Dharma is adult education. It is a rare person that really can understanding the Dharma before their mid-twenties. Of course they can learn many things by rote, but rote learning is not Dharma. Religious learning is not Dharma. Our teacher, Sakyamuni Buddha, left home when he was 29. He tried many things that were not Dharma. Then, on our behalf, he discovered Dharma when he was 36 and decided he would not remain a pratyekabuddha, but teach. Sakya Pandita observed that it takes seven years to become knowledgable in the Dharma. And I guess, for a dedicated lay person without much time, perhaps twice that. All in all, this means that a person who starts when they are 25 will be a self-sustaining Dharma practitioner when they are 40. I think it is good to give a solid secular education to children. If they are not going to become monks and nuns, it is better than they not become dishwashers. I have know many highly educated Tibetans, doctors, ex-monks, and so on, living in the west who are working menial jobs because they don’t have an equivalent western education that will allow them to work in higher paying jobs. What a waste! So, please continue your project of giving your charges good solid western educations so they can actually find decent work if they choose not to enter the religious life in their early twenties!

Thanks!

23. Anna says:

Yes, are there any little girls? I would love to have a little girl student come stay with our family in Los Angeles and learn Buddhism and get an American education. Maybe there could be an exchange student program. Also, it would be nice if we could provide some Buddhst education for children at the centers here. Most of the Chritian churches have preschools and Sunday schools. It is very difficult to go to Buddhist centers here if you have small children here in the U.S. As an educator I can tell you it is much easier to innoculate the hearts of the young with compassion, as they are inclined toward it naturally. Your ideas are great, and I can see that all of us are 110% behind you:)

24. Dana says:

Hello,

This is a great vision of you……also must be done something about sexual abuse of young monks in the monasteries, at least people should know about this problem too. What is happening sometimes with boys when they arrive to the monasteries is too much after my opinion.
    I really hope that someday tibetan people and the others have the opportunity to choose if they want to go to the monastery or not, and not to be forced by their family and by financial reasons…….
    So I hope that your idea will be the first big step in changing this wrong attitude and views.

25. Jude Worth says:

Rinpoche…..

It always takes a fresh mind to see… Bravo Rinpoche for wanting to implement something new into a 2500yr old behavior ! Everyone is entitled to a decent academic education ! _/\_

Speaking of behaviors…

On the other side of the coin, I was surprised and quite sad at the same time to find out that monasteries seem cap the age of those who wish to enter into the life and help sustain monasticism in the West. I had no idea ! sigh….

If monasteries did not impose an age limit for those who wish to enter in the monastic life, this rich experience of devoting one self to the Dharma, and of a life of deep and undisturbed contemplation, meditation, and spiritual life would flourish more than it does here in the West currently.

Seniors here in the West come with their own income (social security) and medical coverage (medicare) which seemed to be of great concern from those who replied to my inquiry. I tried to explain that it is not always necessary to support the monasic from a financial perspective residing at the monastery.

Being able to ordain and live the life of a monastic after 50-60 when one has “already” attained an education, following many years employment and life experience , would be of much benefit both on a financial level which would help support the monastery, and on deeper levels such as bringing a wealth of life experience.
    Being able to ordain and live as a monastic later in life means one is free to surrender completely to the Dharma.
    Part of me also sees this “old school, some policies need revamping after 2500yrs” as a bit discrimemary in today’s society.

What would Buddha think ?

_/\_

26. Kundrol says:

I only became a monk and began to understand Dharma because of living in Samsara, otherwise it may have not made sense to me!! Best Wishes Rinpoche.

27. Wen says:

This is exactly how Buddha stepped on his path of enlightment after learnt and experienced all deeds.

28. jeff munoz says:

wow…! this blog has clearly resonated with many…. may the sharing continue… healthy assimilation of dharma nourishment for modern world…..
    root out packaged processed tradition
    good organic home grown dharma…. yay!
    sending lol…. mahaloha !!!!!

29. Lama Kunzang says:

I’ts about time some highly placed tulku (may the system not endure in the West) said what you do.

30. Eribel says:

Thank you so much ,dear Rinpoche la for breaking out of the system and for telling us the truth .
    Hope that little girls will be included as equals in your schools.
    I used to be fighting against corporal punishment of little monks in a certain Tibetan Buddhist monastery in India many years ago.
    These monasteries are closed male societies and no place for small children to grow up.Even if they learn how to read texts and get food and clothing.
    May be your school could be some kind of boarding school for boys and girls.Like in a children’s village with male and female caretakers and teachers….
    If you need help please let us know.
    You are the future.
    My heart is at your feet.

31. Anil says:

Nancy I am from Gaggal near dharamsala. I know many people in macloadganj and they connected to the monsteries. I never comes to know these things if I don’t read your article. If these things are happened then it’s wrong that I think. If there are some mistakes in writing then forget it

32. daniela says:

my lama has the same vison and just bought land outside of kathmandu to build a school, where the children can take preliminary vows and will get a modern as well as a buddhist education. then after grade ten, they will have the choice to get a modern education leading them to a job or they can take novice vows and continue to study buddhism.
    may it all happen in it’s right time and benefit many beings!

33. Catherine says:

Dear Rinpoche, such a wonderful vision. Thank you. I hope you will include female students in this school and Dharma education. Reform of gender based discrimination is as important in the Tibetan system as other reforms. Women have shown they are as adept in spiritual practice and becoming great practitioners and teachers. It is time…

34. Rachel Sun says:

You just made me cry and cry and cry! When I was 23 I met and fell in love with Tulku. He was born in America, traveled to India as a young child, and recognized by Karmapa to be a very High Tulku.
    He then was raised in the Monastery (by his choice) and then, when he was 20, or 21, he wanted to leave the Shedra. He did. But when he got to America, he had no understanding of how to make it in “the real world” and it has been difficult for him.
    After twenty years, I think things are more than okay for him, but it was not easy.

I love you and your vision, and I would like to go wherever you create this (these) schools and do what I can to help make them (it) a reality.

I am serious. Very.

35. [Ani] Thubten Munsel says:

Right on the mark. I’ve been a nun for 30 years, but then I also was educated in the United States, worked, dated, was married before that happened. Even while living in a monastic setting for 15 years, I always made sure that the young nuns were given an education equivalent to what public schools had to offer, even if that meant home-schooling them. And for one nun who didn’t want to study worldly subjects, still, I made sure she got her GED.

This is awesome, and very realistic.
    Regards,
    [Ani] Thubten Munsel

36. Anna Yeshe Dorje says:

absolutely yes …

37. norvie says:

Love this + “determined to make it happen” ( Bravo! )

38. Aileen Violet says:

I understand where you’re coming from. Your plan seemed so compelling. Is there a way I can add you to my facebook friend or page? Would love to know more about this. I think the plan is great. Thanks.

39. Tiare Dutcher says:

Dearest Rinpoche. Thank you so much for your honest and true teachings. We admire the courage of your vision to shed monastic methods which develop into incorrect understandings. Your vision of educating youth to make voluntary spiritual decisions, as well as learning about the world we all live in, is really wonderful. As to Samsara and Nirvana, Lama Rinchen of our Honolulu Dharma Center has clearly taught us that Samsara and Nirvana are not locations, but states of mind, and that the work of Dharma is to develop compassion and merge with our own true nature. We thank you again, dear Lama of the 21st Century. We appreciate you so much. Much aloha from Hawaii, Tiare and Phil Dutcher

40. Carl Rozycki says:

Let me know if you can use my video-production talents to help.

Aloha from Maui ….

41. Sanggye Lhamo says:

You may want to consider apprenticeship, and a practical training system that is equivalent to TAFE in Australia (Higher Education – 1-2 years Diploma courses). Both ensure trainees/students having plenty job-related experience during the course, and a secure job right after graduation. Good luck.

42. Sanggye Lhamo says:

Yes, let’s improve the existing education system.

Not just Tibetan Monastery system, but the global one – One idea works for all, doesn’t it? If you create a good one that combines advantages of both ordinary “samsara” system and Buddhism/religion/spirituality values, you have created a good system for all human beings that will significantly reduce their suffering.

Thus, we achieve our goal.

Your idea of creating such school is wonderful. Try it! If it succeed, all schools will have a good example to look up to.

You are going to need a group of professionals to assist you with research, analysis and evaluation of information. They will write you reports. They will present you feasibility studies with different options and pros and cons, before you make a final decision.

You may find that there are more than one existing “pretty good” education systems in the world, only that they do not teach knowledge about the spiritual world. (They would like to have you to teach them Dharma).
    You may like their cultures because they teach their people to have high moral standard and a community spirit (“happiness, not money”, “make this world a better world for all, not just myself or my family”)

You may find these good systems in countries in north Europe, Kingdom of Bhutan (of course!), Japan, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, probably Canada…

You may be surprised that your monks sent to these countries do not corrupt, because people in those countries do not tolerate corruptions, nor do their government officials.

You may find… Oops, I talk too much. Should leave you to explore the samsara.

Have fun.

(P.S.: Apprenticeship and TAFE system are for monks who want to leave the monastries and need a skill for living. )

• suonan wangmu says:

very suggestive! The fundamental edu. in Canada is pretty good. They spend a lot of time on imagination enlightenment, good manner(be kindly to other people), close to nature….. it is not spiritual education but close to it. Most of knowledge part study will happened in high school and university by self-exploring mode.
      I have a video that record my son’s activities in elementary school, pls let me know if you are interested.

43. Dorothea Fischer says:

Thank you, Kalu Rinpoche, for being so courageous and outspoken. You give me hope that compassion and truth and sanity have a chance in this world. Bringing the Tibetan dharma out of Tibet after suffering so much has been a great challenge for everyone involved, for the Tibetans who almost lost their culture and precious traditions and for the many, (mostly) western cultures that welcomed them and tried to adapt, absorb, and assimilate what was being taught.Inevitably there was a lot of confusion. You, most precious lama, have the gift, talent and power to ;clear away these cobwebs ‘ and put the focus back on the essence of dharma, the loving kindness of Chenrezig. Thank you for returning to us. May all the good spirits of East and West support you in your endevours.

44. Iris says:

I find your idea a prefect one. I hope I could help you in this task. I really wish you all the best!

45. kawaii Liew/ Tsultrim Tsering Yitrog says:

Dear Kalu Rinp-la,
    I fully understand your point of view and clearly, all beings should have a wide range of opportunities be it contemplating, learning, or meditating. Therefore i fully support this vision and it will definately benefit many human beings and the society in whole. Cheers….I support this.

46. Welcome to Canada Rinpoche. Happy 21st birthday. Thank you so very much for your vision and most excellent proposed changes to some centres. I live on Vancouver Island, close to KDOL. I hope you had a good time there. I would have liked to have been there, but i am currently mobility challenged and use a wheelchair and oxygen. But if there is anything I can do to help you pease don`t hesitate to ask. I look forward to meeting you soon. emahho!

47. Daivam & Alba says:

All our support from Spain. Wonderful new vision renewed.
    If u need our help, u already get it!
    Our prayers for you, for this assignment,
    Tashi Delek!
    Dai&Alba

48. Sally Rose says:

Kalu Rinpoche – you are a breath of fresh air – thank you! :)

49. Jimpa Tharchen Dzambala says:

dear Rinpoche la,

Prince Siddhartha, before he became the Buddha, discovered Suffering outside the Protective Walls of his Father’s Kingdom. His Father did this to protect his son and the interest of his Kingdom. Everyone knew this except for the young Prince Siddhartha.
    Time is precious indeed! No one else can decide for our own fate. Things must be done. Together we can us join our Hearts and build this Academic Monastery, Here and Now! Tashi Deleg.

50. Christopher says:

Let vision change to reality.
    Hope to see your school soon.

51. Jean-Laurent says:

Dear Rimpoché,

It’s a real good think, I’m really happy to see this reflexion.
    In the three training teaching by the Budda, the training of reflexion and analysis have de same importance than training of ethics and concentration. But in this world where many confusion became dangerous for human beings and all the life. Bodhisattvas must to be able to have social, economics and historical view of this age. It’s for me very important than the future teaching that you ll’ elaborate for your monk can include a part of human science (a introduction of history of economy, history of occidental and asian civilization, occidental humanist philosophy …) and a introduction in critical philosophy (because the modern organization of the society is not all god or all bad, like traditional view of world is not all right or all wrong). It’s important that the monk can have a good representation of the world and have good intellectual tools to analyse this. Have a good comprehension of moderne issues is good to have confidence to Dharma. I can see that the problem of people who live in a traditional culture is that they have a sentiment of inferiority about modern and occidental culture (sometimes they haves a sentiment of superiority but is not better). Have a just view of the modern world can help to understand that the Dharma and spirituality in general is a part of solution of this trouble. It can to avoid to have a closed view of Dharma, helped to see the part of cultural habit not really useful for the way. And also this critical view of modernity can help to see the right way for action in this world. But english, sciences, grammar and to be able to use a computer is important too.
    Thank you Rimpoche for you presence with us and your blessing.

Jean-Laurent from Belgium

52. Yangchen says:

Rinpochhe Khenno! A very great vision. It is very true. I have seen many people after joining the monastery at very young age, left the monastery become nothing in life.

53. Tshering Yangchen says:

Rimpochoe la,
    Your openess and frank vision is highly appreciated la. I fully agree with you and support your new outlook. It is a wonderful idea ! Wishing you Rimpochoe great success in making it a reality since it will mean lot of effort and hard work. I wish to be part of it in any way I could la.

54. Jess says:

I’ve been looking for a Dharma centre like you speak of for some time now.Here in the West, all I find is Dharma business and I can no longer afford to be part of a Buddhist Business centre so I practise on my own in the best way I can.

I wish you love,luck and happiness Kalu-la :>) I’m so glad tohave met you.You are what the Dharma needs.You keep it real Rinpoche-la. and I thank you for that x

55. Denise ROBBE says:

Yes for a regular education. But , do you know that even with a regular education many students have no job, or not the job they have learn for it…Painful samsara is evrywhere.

56. Denise ROBBE says:

…And it is posible to learn , to study, even if you are an adult. The evening after working day, and all along this life.

57. Thupten Thapke says:

YOU have right track of vision for present and future young lay/ordian people in monasteris. You will be fisrt person to start a good model of of a monastery to a learining centre for dual studues of the both acadamic and Buddhist religious education.

58. Waber Mayadevi says:

Dear Kalu Rinpoche, I think that your vision is great and right and that you are very courageous! I have skills and experience working on projects -as this is my job- and I am really willing to help from the bottom of my heart for such projects as yours. It is a necessity to undertake such reforms under today’s circumstances, as you mention in this article. I understand this is a big challenge, but we have to face it now, before it is too late…Bravo!

59. Tenzin Norphel says:

I feel so happy to hear your vision and plan.
    Its true and good to have formal education system in monastery as well, so that they can live a better life when they left the monastery and live a civil life.

i have many friends also who left monkhood and some of them told me that they feel regret that he didnt got a chance to go to school.
    Take care and wish you good luck and success in this noble project.
    With Great respect.

60. saikat says:

Dear Kalu rinpoche,

I am not a buddhist but an Indian who identify with its cultures but not religion. It is quite heart warming to read your story and your current efforts. I think sannyasa or monk-hood should come naturally, and if it does not no amount of extensive training may correct the fundamental flaw. Similar stories are also abound among non buddhist monastics of India who became monks out of necessity or peer pressure, and not out of choice.

Regards,
    Saikat

61. Sura Cox says:

I would also do anything to support this vision. I receive my MA in teaching ESL in June and have 6 years experience teaching English as a Second language, both privately with all ages and to university students and adult immigrants. I am available as a teacher in your school or to help organize starting in June!

62. Alexei says:

My full full support for you precious vision my friend!

63. Ana says:

Rimpoche,
    I agree with you 100 per cent, you are very brave to go on with this plans, congratulations!!
    From Barcelona

64. euden grace says:

with due respect, to u and ur vision of undrstanding. I appreciate and strongly believe according to ur mighty undrstanding.
    Prayer n regards rimpoche la

65. Dear Kalu Rinpoche (Gautama & Kamala know that whatever you do or don’t do, whatever that happens or does not happen to you, you are already a beautiful diamond, lotus-hearted, courageous, no-one special, who is an authentic friend of the Void, the Yin and the Yang, the Eternal and the Infinite, the complementary Feminine and the complementary Masculine principles of the Unity of the Silence and the Stillness, respectively, the Mysterious Divine Plane of the Moment that initiates the Sphere of the All in the All, whether you like it or not… for the Truth, my true brother, my fellow hip-hop friend, is not prone to prejudice),

I have not taken classes in Vajrayana or Mahayana Buddhism, nor do I belong to any organization of any kind (for a wise lady once told me when I was a little boy child in the inner-city of Detroit (the murder capital of world at that time), “That only one rotten apple can evilly spoil any whole ‘barrel’.”

Later on, when I was in Northern Africa as a young man, I heard a still, silent voice “yell” inside of my insensitive puss brain , “To altruistically help fellow deviated human creaturres (and, potentially, mineral creatures, plant creatures, and animal creatures, too), in a mysterious, anonymous way, using Morally Imaginative parables or “presents” , with intensive Alpha Intention, Omega Syntax, Discriminate Attention, Reflective Attention, and Manasic and/or Buddhic Awareness, and the Heart-Chakra Dynamic Priorities of Total Recall in the MOMENT, all the while looking appropriately “natural”, and/or like an “unnatural” idiot, for the self-same specific moment.

Also, I was told to be sure that I always remember the following: “A man’s conscience is only as good as his level of honesty to his hypocrisy.”

Of course, like an idiot, I forgot all of this good stuff by the time I arrived back in the States! Over the ensuing decades, my selfish desires, (ego-mania), and my uncorrected stupidities (destructive self-deceits), resulted in my becoming addicted to just about anything that I could be addicted to: drugs, cigarettes, coffee, sex, competition, vanities, stupidities, fame, fortune, etc.

Now, I know, experientially, what that old American adage means, “The greater the sinner (uncorrected mistake maker), the greater the saint.”

Well, I don’t want to ever be a saint, I don’t want to perfect. I just want to be no-one special, with a child-like ever-learning conscience, a veteran paradoxical self-effacing sense of humor, and a healthy dose of misunderstood false derangement.

I hope and pray that these words may help to bring some solace to you soul.
    (and if we ever met in person, I am absolutely sure we would bore each other to death in a hilarious way!)

A true friend is an altruistic gift. Leroy Jacobowski.

THANKS, for your great freeing and healing gifts, and courage.

66. Samten says:

Dear Rinpoche, I have not met you personally, but I really appreciate your courage, clarity and determination.

You have started a revolution. Many will not like it…
    You have dropped an atomic bomb against ignorance, and I pray that you may quickly succeed to erradicate corruption form within the system, and that by cleaning the garbage, the Essence of the Dharma will be revealed by the roar of your eloquent speech. May your life be secure and healthy ,and all your virtuous activities multiply spontaneously!

Don´t give up ! Keep inspiring us and being who you are, without masks.

Samten

67. Elaine(Tenzin Wangmo) says:

Thank you for saying what a lot of people,including sangha feel.
    Personally,I have felt disappointed and let down by some of my lamas.
    Once ordained,we are lucky if we get any dharma education apart from musical instruments or Tibetan language.
    The Vinaya is not taught so how are you to learn and understand what is acceptable or unacceptable behaviour?
    If I didnt read so much,I would still be floundering.
    May your vision for a more stable dharma life be realised!
    Wangmo

68. alexandra de andrea says:

Dear Rimpoché,
    i wood like to meet you in Paris, please give me the day of teachings and adresse
    thank you so much!.
    tashi delegk

• dradas says:

Program in Paris got delayed, most probably to end february or beginning march. Keep watching on the web. Tachi Deleg.